Update: Congress to Pay for Obama’s Agenda!
The U.S House of Representatives just passed the $1.15 Trillion omnibus spending bill by a vote of 316-118, with 150 Republicans and 166 Democrats voting yea.
December 17, 2015
On Friday, the House of Representatives will vote on a $1.1 trillion spending bill to fund the government for the next year. This bill represents the final opportunity for the Republican-led Congress to rein in the Obama Administration using the powers given them by Article One of the Constitution .
After weeks of negotiations behind closed doors, the results are in, and once again, the American people lose while special interests and the president win. Here are five of the biggest problems with the omnibus:
- Spending. When Republicans controlled only the House, they got the White House and Harry Reid to impose budget caps in 2011, one of the few accomplishments of John Boehner’s speakership. In October, although having control of both chambers, John Boehner surrendered this one accomplishment. The omnibus spends at these much higher levels set in the final Obama-Boehner budget deal, which was rejected by two-thirds of House Republicans.
- Life. Planned Parenthood will continue to receive funding. In fact, no pro-life victories can be found in the bill. Republican negotiators are left bragging about their ability to keep pro-life provisions that have been attached to funding bills for years.
- Immigration. No new restrictions are placed on refugee resettlement programs, sanctuary cities, or President Obama’s lawless amnesties. On the contrary, a provision was slipped in quadrupling H-2B visas in fiscal year 2016, bringing in tens of thousands more low-skilled workers.
- Environment. In exchange for lifting the crude oil ban, environmentalists are given free rein to advance their destructive agenda. Nothing in this omnibus will stop President Obama from implementing the climate change agreement reached in Paris last week. Furthermore, the EPA can continue imposing new regulations in areas such as water and carbon emissions that will affect our daily lives in many ways.
- National Security. Our national security will be diminished. President Obama can continue to implement his dangerous deal with Iran. Women will be allowed into combat units, lowering their overall effectiveness and increasing risks to men and women in the front lines.
With less than three days to digest a 2000+ page spending bill, no one should expect Members of Congress to fully understand what they are voting on when the omnibus comes to the floor.
Please call your senators and tell them to vote NO on the omnibus spending bill.
Capitol Switchboard (202) 224-3121
This alert is no longer active.