April 3, 2019
VAWA passed on 4/04/19 263-157.
This week the House will consider H.R. 1585, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The provisions in this bill are House Democrats’ attempt to push their anti-Constitution and anti-family agenda on American families. Ask your Representative to vote NO on this bill because its passage will:
- Make it illegal for a person convicted of a misdemeanor stalking crime or under a protection order to own a gun.
- Affirm that Americans identifying as LGBTQ need special protections under the law by making them eligible for specific DOJ grants and forcing the Bureau of Prisons to recognize their gender identity.
- Encourage divorce among married couples instead of reconciliation through counseling.
- Fail to recognize mutual partner abuse, encouraging the Left’s guilty until proven innocent warped system of justice.
- Strip away the rights of Americans in Tribal abuse situations by giving Tribal jurisdiction over domestic abuse situations, even when one of the spouses is a non-Tribal citizen.
- Provide money to “reproductive health” programs that encourage abortion.
- Allow immigrants filing for VAWA-related relief to receive a variety of state benefits as well as obtain a green card. This is a fast-track to amnesty.
Finally, VAWA also encourages obscurity in the law through its loose interpretation of what defines violence against women. This dangerous bill is yet another example of how the Left is attempting to force individuals and employers to suppress the rights of others. VAWA’s catchy name is a veiled threat to American women and families.
Call or email your Representative to urge them to vote NO on the Violence Against Women Act.
Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121