January 12, 2018
After discussions between the White House and Congressional Leadership of both parties, Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) released language on his Securing America’s Future Act. This bill, unfortunately, continues the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program, however, it grants all of President Trump’s demands for immigration. In addition to codifying DACA, the bill does as follows:
- Eliminates the Visa Lottery
- Puts an end to chain migration
- Decreases overall immigration by 25%
- Authorizes border wall construction
- Adds 5,000 Border Patrol Agents and 5,000 Customs and Border Protection Officers
- Makes E-Verify mandatory
- Authorizes the Department of Justice to withhold law enforcement grants from sanctuary cities and allows victims to sue those sanctuary cities that released their attacker
- Codifies Kate’s Law which increases penalties for returning aliens who were previously deported
Although we are in the position of making a deal with amnesty, we must ensure that these provisions pass and that no additional amnesty measures are added. There are strong measures in this bill to secure the border and protect American jobs. Because of this deal, Republicans are able to go further in reducing illegal immigration than they would have otherwise.
Call or email your Congressman and ask that they pass the Securing America’s Future Act as written!