December 1, 2014
We need your immediate help to phone your Illinois State Representative and urge a NO vote on the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) – which passed the Illinois Senate this past spring and could come up in the “lame duck” State House at any time before the new legislature convenes on Jan. 14, 2015.
Call the Capitol switchboard at 217-782-2000, and ask to be connected with your own State Representative. Use any of the following arguments:
- ERA will require taxpayer funding of abortions. Several states have ruled that ERA requires taxpayer funding of Medicaid abortions because, since only women undergo abortions, the denial of taxpayer funding is “sex discrimination.” (N.M. Right to Choose/NARAL v. Johnson, Nov. 25, 1998.) The same reasoning could extend to all insurance through Obamacare. We must NOT give courts the power to force us to pay for abortions!
- With the current attacks on religious liberties by the Obama Administration (such as the Hobby Lobby case), ERA raises the danger of denial of tax exemption and other discriminations against schools and hospitals run by religions that do not ordain women.
- ERA will deprive wives and widows of their “dependent wife” benefits in Social Security. Ruth Bader Ginsburg explained this effect of ERA in her book “Sex Bias in the U.S. Code.” and she reasserted this in her opinion in the Supreme Court Partial-Birth Abortion case in 2007. She says the “equality principle” of ERA requires us to get rid of “archaic” notions such as the “dependency” of a homemaker on her husband’s financial support. A vote for ERA is a vote to take away Social Security checks received by most mothers and grandmothers.
- ERA will require young women to register for military service (even though we don’t have a draft), and if they fail to register, they would lose their federal college grants and loans and would never be able to get a federal job. ERA will force the military to assign women involuntarily to ground combat in more “sex equal” numbers.
- There are so many bad effects of ERA , but NO benefits. ERA will not give women better jobs or pay raises because we already have the “equal pay for equal work” law and a federal agency (EEOC) to punish violators. In the 10 years that Illinois battled ERA, nobody ever showed any benefit that women would get from ERA. Remember, the key word in ERA is “sex” not “women.”
Please call the Illinois Capitol, ask to be connected with your State Representative, and urge a NO vote on ERA. (The operator will tell you who is your own Representative.) We must not let Illinois make the terrible mistake of voting for ERA. For more information, contact Illinois Stop ERA Chairman Elise Bouc, 847-707-1217 or email@example.com
Illinois Capitol switchboard: 217-782-2000