November 11, 2017
Eight States have been targeted by the Balanced Budget Amendment Task Force www.bba4usa.org for 2017-2018. They are Idaho, Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington. According to their count they need 6 more states.
If your state is targeted for passage or has passed an application for an Article V Convention, it would be strategically useful if you would find a sponsor to introduce a Resolution to rescind all previous applications for an Article V in your state
BBA see map http://bba4usa.org/report/
Were it not for the rescissions in Delaware, Maryland, New Mexico and Nevada, BBA would be counting 32 states and need only 2 more
By Janine Hansen, National Eagle Forum Constitutional Issues Chairman
Balanced Budget Amendment Article V applications passed in 32 states during the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s. The BBA nearly succeeded in achieving the needed 34 states for an Article V Convention. Our strategy became one of rescissions. We began efforts to rescind in many states, rescinding in state after state until we rescinded the Article V BBA in 16 states. That ended their nearly successful drive for an Article V Convention and stopped their efforts for more than a decade.
We must implement this Rescission Strategy again if we are to successfully stop the multiple efforts for an Article V Convention including Balanced Budget Amendment (BBA), Convention of States, the Article V to overturn Citizens United, and others.
In 2016 Delaware passed a Resolution Rescinding all previous Article V Constitutional Convention Applications which helped to stop the momentum of the BBA. In 2017 New Mexico, Maryland and Nevada voted to rescind all previous Article V applications reducing BBA Article V’s from a potential 31 to 27. This was critical in the effort to stop the momentum for Article V Con Cons. In Nevada, it wasn’t just the proponents of BBA which mounted an extraordinarily well-funded public and legislative effort to stop our rescission, but the Convention of States organization was also involved.
If your state is targeted for passage or has passed an application for an Article V Convention, it would be strategically useful if you would find a sponsor to introduce a Resolution to rescind all previous applications for an Article V in your state.
Resolutions to Rescind have several strategic advantages even if you don’t succeed in getting the resolution passed.
Resolutions to Rescind:
- Put you on the offensive.
- Create an excellent opportunity for educating Legislators on why an Article V is so harmful.
- Force the Article V proponents to use resources, money, staff, volunteers, etc. to oppose the resolution to rescind.
- Force Article V proponents to take time and resources away from passing their Article V to oppose your Resolution.
- Provide Legislators with an alternate resolution to support.
- And most importantly, your state may pass, like Delaware, New Mexico, Maryland and Nevada did, a Resolution to Rescind all Previous Article V Applications.
- A Rescission in any state will help to stop the momentum of Article V’s in other states and around the country.
THIS IS HOW WE STOPPED THE ARTICLE V BBA IN THE 1980’s and 1990’s. This is how we can do it again!