PICKERING'S LAST CHANCE? UNLESS WE HELP!
Judge Charles Pickering, Sr., designated for a seat on the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, may
have his last chance at the appellate appointment this Thursday, February 28th, when the Senate Judiciary Committee is likely to vote on his nomination. Current indications are
that Pickering would pass the Senate in a tight vote, but is unlikely to pass the Judiciary
Committee because all ten Democrats will vote against him. So much for the Democrats'
hypocritical commitment to "bipartisanship" and the Republicans' "willingness" to mount
an aggressive pro-Pickering campaign which both principle and their numbers in the
Senate (almost a majority) enable them to do.
But WE THE PEOPLE STILL POSSESS THE ULTIMATE POLITICAL POWER IN
THIS NATION! And the Pickering nomination is vital for several reasons:
- For the sake of the Fifth Circuit Pickering's background and qualifications indicate he
would make a fine addition to the Fifth Circuit; consult www.judicialselection.org for
more information and refutation of the spurious charges being made against him;
- For the sake of the Federal Judiciary Currently, as Court Watch as previously
reported to you, over half of the federal bench is occupied by Democrat-appointees,
who tend to be overwhelmingly activist/liberal, and by a number of GOP-appointees who
tend to be likewise;
- For the sake of the U. S. Senate Long known as the "world's most exclusive club,"
Senators have an almost incredible habit of deferring to one another even on measures
about which they bitterly disagree; the most powerful influences all too often on all
too many Senators are: 1) their peers, 2) their party, 3) pressure groups whom they
favor (e.g., NARAL, PFAW, etc), 4) their personal preferences and predilections.
And who is missing in this list of influences??? WE THE PEOPLE ARE
MISSING, and it is long past time for us to constantly and forcefully remind the
Senate that THE SENATE IS RESPONSIBLE TO US--not to the other influences
listed. The Pickering nomination gives us the opportunity to start this vitally
important Senate-educating process.
To join this crucial fight in the Campaign for Courting Justice:
- Phone the White House and urge Bush to unleash all his power in favor of this unfairly embattled nominee;
- Phone your Senators: If they are Democrats, urge them to use all their legitimate
power to generate a favorable vote by the Judiciary Committee; if they are
Republicans, urge them to unleash all their power in favor of Pickering;
- Focus particularly on the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee; and be
especially involved if you reside in the Fifth Circuit (Texas, Louisiana, and
Mississippi), or in the home state of a Committee member;
- Let your Senators know that you will be following their vote, and that they will
continue to hear from you about this judicial crisis;
- Don't let busy signals on the phone deter you--this is a battle where we can begin to
turn the tide in favor of JUDGES WHO WILL COURT JUSTICE, and it our
time is short.
TO FIGHT WELL THE LONG-RANGE BATTLE OVER AMERICA'S COURTS AND
CULTURE, PLAN NOW TO ATTEND THE "COURTING JUSTICE CONFERENCE"
WHICH IS DETAILED BELOW:
- Date & Location: Greensboro, NC, Mon., April 15-Tues., April 16, 2002
- Co-Sponsors: Eagle Forum's Court Watch, Family Research Council, & the William Wilberforce Society of Greensboro
- Keynote Speaker: Phyllis Schlafly
- Other Speakers: Virginia Armstrong, Ken Conner, Tom Jipping, & Jan LaRue
- Conference Director: Ed Purgason, William Wilberforce Society
- Lodging: Sheraton Greensboro at Four Seasons, Joseph Koury Convention Center
- For More Information: The Sheraton @ 1-800-242-6556 or Conference Coordinator, Amy Kirkman @ 336-288-9235
WORKING TOGETHER, WE
CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!